|Collins & Aikman Building, circa 1945||Before construction began, 2002||
Namquit Cotton Mill, circa 1840
The history of Stone Harbour Condominiums is a story of revitalization and renewed purpose. Located in the historic district of Bristol, R.I., each of the three buildings offers unique architectural aspects - all designed to reflect the complex's historic past while offering residents today's finest amenities.
The Namquit Mill owes its circa 1840 beginnings to the rise of the textile industry in Bristol as the town recovered from the end of its slave trade and decline of its shipping business. The masonry mill building was used for many years for the manufacture of cotton products. The Cranston Worsted Mills bought it in 1904 to manufacture mohair, worsted wool and novelty yarns.
Collins & Aikman purchased the Cranston operation in 1927. The company constructed a brick factory building next door - on the site of Stone Harbour North - in the early 1940s to support the need for their products in World War II.
The Premier Thread Company later bought the complex to manufacture thread and related products. A prefabricated metal building, now demolished, was added in the 1960s. Coats American acquired Premier Thread in 1993, but in 1999 announced the planned closing of its Bristol operation. It closed in June 2000 after being a fixture on the waterfront for more than a 150 years.
The project to renovate, restore and adapt these historic buildings for use as luxury condominiums began with a June 2000 completion of a concept study, a lengthy planning process, and final purchase of the 4.3-acre property by Stonestreet Corporaton in July 2002. After architectural plans and permitting were completed in August 2003, construction began on Stone Harbour North, followed shortly by the Namquit Mill.
Stone Harbour North, a re-creation of the old Coats American building, now features the original bricks on its facade as well as parts of the original entrance. Next door, Stonestreet carefully restored the white stone and granite exterior of the Namquit Mill, and reproduced a cupola that the 1938 hurricane knocked off the roof. It offers a loft-like ambiance within eight duplex-style condominiums. An old smoke stack serves as a giant sundial in the adjacent garden area.
Begun in 2004, a completely new three-story Stone Harbour South building, with its exterior designed in keeping with the architectural style and character of the area, brought the total number of luxury condos to 81. The complex's 39-slip marina was built in August 2005, shortly after final approvals were obtained. The public boardwalk was dedicated in October 2005.
Today Stone Harbour is a rare jewel that offers homeowners luxury coastal living in a quintessential New England town.